Last PTA Meeting - Friday, June 9th at 8:30am in the Auditorium
Coffee will be provided.
Thank you for volunteering to join us in our classroom and school to help make this a joyful and successful year for all of our children. In order to provide the best possible atmosphere for our students, guidelines have been established for classroom and field trip volunteers. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with these guidelines.
• Our school is a safe and happy environment: We respect each child’s individual rate and style of learning.
• We are respectful of the privacy of our children and their families: We do not talk about individual students outside of the classroom.
• Your commitment is valued. Please be on time and provide adequate notice if you cannot keep your scheduled time.
• Before going to the classroom or lunchroom, all volunteers must sign in at the school office. Please check in at the office each time before you join us. This is for the safety of our children and our staff.
• The office staff will show you how to use the school equipment properly. Just introduce yourself, and they will give you instructions in using the copier, laminator, etc.
• Our school is a cell free zone. For the safety of our children, we ask that cell phones and PDAs be turned off and stowed for the duration of your work in the school.
Working with Children:
• Encourage the children to do as much of the work as they can. Invite them to tell you about what they are doing. Assist only when you feel a child has done all he or she can; then provide the support the child needs to be successful.
• If you are working with a small group, move from child to child, giving each child special attention and engaging them in conversations. Give positive, encouraging feedback.
• Please remember to focus on the children and save adult conversations for later.
• All students in the class enjoy working with you. Your assistance should be given to all students identified by the teacher.
• Younger siblings should be left in the care of others, while you are working at school.
• Be enthusiastic and enjoy the children. Know that your work makes a difference in the lives of our children and the richness of our classroom and school.
School discipline guidelines:
We follow the basic pattern of discipline by reminding students of appropriate behavior, reinforcing good behavior, and redirecting children who are not following rules.
Lunch time guidelines:
• Water bottle policy: children need to bring water bottles to lunch already filled up.
• Help children opening milk, cutting food into manageable chunks
• Encourage children to eat
• Engage children in appropriate conversations
• Remind them to sit properly at the table and to use good table manners.
• Help with cleaning up: remind children to check at their tables for all their garbage
During recess you can help by:
• Reminding children to use equipment for appropriate purposes (i.e. jump ropes are for jumping)
• Zipping jackets
• Inviting children in to play with your group
• Coaching children to be aware of space: not running into others, not disrupting other games, tagging gently
• Taking advantage of the opportunity to play with child and his or her friends.
• Encouraging children to join in activities: hot potato, relay races, four square, jump rope, teaching children a new game
Other volunteer opportunities:
In classrooms: Talk to the classroom teacher or class parent if you would like to volunteer. Activities can include during center time, teaching a specific skill or hobby (knitting, art, etc.), organizing Scholastic book orders, chaperoning and organizing field trips, etc.
Science: Help with science activities, composting, gardening.
BPC Library: Help make our library amazing for our children. Family volunteers are always welcome to shelve books, help out with book fairs and special events, and more. For more information, send an E-mail to: Melina.firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://bpclib.weebly.com/f-volunteer-at-our-library.html
Out of classroom help: Formatting monthly newsletter, assist with kindergarten tours, lunch and recess volunteers, please contact email@example.com.